Maintaining your style is a lot like maintaining your health. You have to know your body, recognize what makes you feel good (and what doesn’t) and put in a little bit of discipline and work. And just like healthy habits, sometimes we fall off the wagon. No worries! We can get back on … but the first step is recognizing the rut.
Are You in a Style Rut?
If you identify with any of the following, go ahead and self-diagnose your style rut. (No need to call the doc — we have a three-step remedy to cure your wardrobe woes.)
- You stare blankly at your closet and either A.) Take too long to decide what to wear or B.) Give up and wear that one outfit. Again.
- Most of your wardrobe consists of slight variations of the same black shirt.
- You can’t recall when or where you bought the clothes you’re wearing right now.
- Or you can, and it was when “Friends” was still airing new episodes. Or worse, “Seinfeld.”
- The thought of shopping is about as appealing to you as clipping your toenails.
Can you relate to any of 1-5 above? No worries — we can help.
Here’s How to Fix It
With a little effort, you can get out of that style rut. Being sure of your style won’t move mountains, but it will help you look better, feel better and exude confidence … which can make all the difference in your day.
Step 1: Take inventory of what you like
Look in your closet. I mean, really give it a good look. What do you like? Which pieces do you adore? Which ones do you actually wear? Take an inventory of these items and look for similarities. Maybe you’re drawn to a certain shape, soft fabric or great color. Jot these similarities down.
Step 2: Take inventory of what you don’t like
Now follow the same process for the items you don’t like. Are there similar qualities about these items? Are they fit for a wear occasion you seldom need to accommodate? Maybe your body has changed and they’re the wrong size. Or maybe you like the style, but it just isn’t comfortable or flattering on you. List these similarities out as well. (Also, donate those items to someone who will love them. You’re going to need room in your closet for the next step.)
Step 3: Shop with purpose
With your lists of “likes” and “dislikes” in hand, start shopping. All it takes is a few new pieces to freshen up your wardrobe and break out of your style rut. And now that you have a clear understanding of what you are looking for and what to avoid, you’ll quickly be able to find new additions to your wardrobe you’re sure to love.
BONUS: When it comes to jeans and pants, we’re here to help
We’re dedicated to helping you find the perfect-fitting pants that you look and feel great in.
- Use our Men’s Fit Finder and Women’s Fit Finder to find styles that might work best for you.
- Buy a variety of fits and sizes and return what doesn’t work (with free shipping both ways!) for 30 days when you take our Style Quiz.
With a little effort, you’ll break out of that style rut with a fresh, confident look. Happy shopping!