It’s almost here: the long weekend you’ve been anticipating. Whether that means lake time, happy hour or hammock nappy hour, it’s bound to be good. But we’re always looking for ways to make things — even great things — just a little bit better. So, without further ado, here are four ways to make the most of your Memorial Day weekend.
1. Honor the true meaning of the holiday
Before you dive into that barbecue and beer, take a moment to celebrate the holiday’s true meaning.
- Is your morning free? Visit a local memorial site. Many offer special programs for Memorial Day weekend. To find a site near you, visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.
- Have 10 minutes to spare? Call or visit a military family just to say, “Hey, thanks.” Memorial Day honors those who have fallen in service to our country, but active military families also deserve our gratitude for the sacrifices they make every day. Thank them sincerely and often.
- What are you doing at 3:00 p.m.? Wherever you are, participate in the Memorial Day Moment of Silence. Pause with the nation to honor all the heroes who have contributed to your freedom. It’s only one minute of your day — reserve it to honor the holiday’s true meaning.
2. Deck out your deck
Playing host? Dress your deck (or patio) for the occasion with some patriotic pizzazz. You don’t have to overthink it. We love this simple combination of lights and streamers from Style Me Pretty.
3. Make some award-winning barbecue
Here in Kansas City, barbecue sauce runs in our veins. So of course, we get a little excited about any holiday that calls for firing up that grill. Here’s a recipe from Saveur for a Kansas City classic — burnt ends. (Just be sure to make plenty — the aroma of this savory and sweet brisket has a tendency to attract neighbors.)
P.S. Beer and barbecue are the perfect pair… but if beer isn’t your thing, Cosmopolitan has 15 Memorial Day cocktail recipes that look pretty darn tasty.
4. Snag some savings
The official start-of-summer weekend calls for shopping. We have a special Memorial Day treat. This weekend only, save up to 50% off, plus get an additional 15% & free shipping by using the promo code MEM15. What are you waiting for? Start saving.
There you have it. Four ideas that can make your Memorial Day weekend meaningful, decorated, delicious and stylish. Spend your time with the people you love and make the most of it!
Tell us — What are your plans for the holiday?